A press release issued by PHMSA today outlines the legislative proposal transmitted to Congress today by U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao for a bill entitled PIPES Act of 2019. The proposed legislation would reauthorize DOT’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) pipeline safety programs for fiscal years 2020-2023.
The proposal includes measures that would:
- Modernize PHMSA’s incident and construction data collection
- Expand PHMSA’s State Pipeline Safety Program grant criteria for state costs.
- Establish a voluntary safety information sharing program
- Encourage replacement for aged local pipeline systems
- Clarify certain regulatory measures to prevent incidents from occurring on pipelines
- Streamline and enhance PHMSA’s support for new liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities
- Promote research and development initiatives aimed at deploying new technologies to enhance pipeline safety and reliability.
Want to stay up-to-date on the latest pipeline safety legislation? Get access to the full complement of federal and state pipeline safety regulations, rulemaking and legislative activities, accident info, enforcement cases and more by subscribing to WinDOT the online pipeline safety encyclopedia today.